I want to take the next step and improve my knowledge and skills in…
- Pasture & grazing management
- Business management
- Livestock management
Scroll down to find out about the tools, resources and training opportunities under each of these topics.
MLA’s Profitable Grazing Systems program
Have you previously been involved in More Beef from Pastures or Making More from Sheep events or training? MLA has a new extension program called Profitable Grazing Systems, which is focused on building skills to enable red meat producers to implement changes to their business to improve performance and sustainability.
Through Profitable Grazing Systems, you will be able develop and practice skills with small groups of like minded producers to improve business performance.
Whether you want to learn about genetics and reproduction, the value chain, feedbase or managing people and the business, specialist coaches work alongside groups to share their knowledge, skills and experience.
For more information about the Profitable Grazing Systems program, click here.
Pasture & grazing management
Grazing management decisions are the key driver for how productive and profitable livestock businesses are. On average, producers who have upskilled in grazing management lift their return on assets managed by three to six times. Click here to listen to the story of two producers who have recently undertaken a pasture management training course; Bruce Abblitt from Fairview Dairies at Redpa and Piers Dumaresq from Mount Ireh Estate at Longford.
Pasture Principles is currently recruiting for participants.
The Pasture Principles course has been approved by MLA as a recognised Profitable Grazing Systems training program and this means the course cost will be discounted by $600 per business for red meat producers (full course cost of $2,500 per business, minus the MLA discount of $600 = $1900). ** Please note that the discount has a finite source of funds, and this will be allocated on a first come first serve basis. **
- Western northern midlands (Cressy, Longford to Meander Valley districts)
- Eastern north midlands/Tamar (Tamar Valley, Nile and Evandale districts )
- Central midlands (Campbelltown, Tunbridge and Ross districts)
- South east (lower east coast and wider south east district)
- Alternatively, if you have a group of 8+ producers located elsewhere and are keen for a course, get in touch.
- An understanding of the relationship between plant requirements, leaf emergence rates and pasture growth
- Plant morphology and the relationship with pasture quality, pasture quantity and plant persistence
- Measuring and predicting pasture growth
- Allocation of pasture on a dry matter basis
- Variations in pasture quality throughout the season
- The relationship between stocking rate and pasture utilisation
- Animal requirements for maintenance, growth, pregnancy and lactation
- Feed budgeting
- Feed planning
- Marginal cost and marginal revenue decisions associated with feeding livestock
For more information about Pasture Principles, contact Jason Lynch on 0459 031 311 or to view the information flyer, click here.
To register online for Pasture Principles 2018, click here.
Tools & resources
- Macquarie Franklin & RBT Grazing Management Tools
- MLA stocking rate calculator
- MLA feed demand calculator
- MLA rainfall to pasture growth outlook tool
- Pasture improvement calculator
- More Beef from Pastures online manual – pasture growth
- More Beef from Pastures online manual – pasture utilisation
- Making More from Sheep online manual – grow more pasture
- Making More from Sheep online manual – turn pasture into product
- Successful Silage – online manual
The Power of Engagement® – Launceston, March 2019
The Right Mind will be running The Power of Engagement communication course in Launceston on 20-21 March 2019.
The Power of Engagement is the most sought after and successful program delivered by The Right Mind and involves ‘mastering the art of crucial conversations to improve business outcomes and personal effectiveness’.
For more information about The Power of Engagement, contact The Right Mind on (07) 3869 3044 or to view the information flyer, click here.
To register to attend The Power of Engagement, click here.
Tools & resources
- MLA cost of production calculator
- More Beef from Pastures online manual – Setting directions
- Making More from Sheep online manual – Plan for success
- Making More from Sheep online manual – People & succession planning
Lambs alive workshop – Evandale, August 2018
Macquarie Franklin and Sheep Connect Tasmania have joined forces to present a hands-on Lambs Alive workshop for Tasmanian sheep producers. The half-day workshop will provide attendees with improved knowledge of the causes of lamb deaths and strategies to implement to optimise lamb survival. It will also provide an overview of key animal health factors to consider in the lead up to lambing, which will improve ewe survival and health.
When & Where?
- Wednesday, 29 August 2018
- ‘Logan’ shearing shed, 695 Logan Road, Evandale
- Cost: $75 per person (exc. GST)
For more information on Lambs Alive, contact Georgia McCarthy on 0400 763 904 or to view the information flyer, click here
To register for the upcoming Lambs Alive workshop, click here
Tools & resources
- More Beef from Pastures online manual – maximising weaner throughput
- More Beef from Pastures online manual – herd health & welfare
- Making More from Sheep online manual – wean more lambs
- Making More from Sheep online manual – sheep health
- MLA On-Farm-Biosecurity-Plan-Template